The Venezuelan government has suspended all social media for two days amid escalating social distancedness, a move the government says is necessary to protect the public from threats.
Social media is the main tool Venezuelans use to communicate with one another, as well as to organise, organise and protest.
It is also the most important platform for dissent in the country.
A new social media platform, Social Distancing, was launched on Friday and is aimed at helping Venezuelans connect and organize in a way that minimises disruption and prevents any external interference.
It will have 24,000 users, including government ministers and political leaders, who will be able to communicate freely on the site.
The social distances were introduced following a violent protest against the president Nicolas Maduro in Caracas last month.
The protests drew millions of people into the streets.
Venezuela’s social distance system is a combination of the social media and telephone networks.
The government’s decision to ban social media was taken at a meeting of the National Security Council (CNE) on Friday, according to state media.
A spokesman for the CNE, Rafael Perez, told AFP news agency that the suspension would apply to social media platforms for at least the next 24 hours.
In a separate move, Venezuelan officials have also shut down Twitter and YouTube.
Visa restrictions are in place for all people who have visited the country since January 5, when the government shut down internet access and social media services for the first time since 2002.
They are also imposing strict new visa requirements for Venezuelans from certain countries.
The restrictions have already seen the cancellation of travel plans and cancellations of planned visits by people from Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Syria.
Viasos state-run newspaper La Nacion has reported that some people have already left Venezuela.
The government says it is trying to control the social distancys and keep people safe, but social distANCESs has also led to protests, which are still taking place.
Last month, the president of Venezuela’s opposition-controlled National Assembly, Diosdado Cabello, accused the authorities of a campaign of “economic sabotage” and a conspiracy to destabilise the country and its people.
Cabello said the government was attempting to “tarnish” the country’s image by creating an atmosphere of fear and intimidation.
On Friday, Venezuela’s President Nicolas Maduro told a press conference in Carabobo that his government had blocked social distancers.
“If it becomes a problem for us, we will do something to solve it,” he said.
“We have to maintain the balance between the public and private,” he added.
Venezolans are still in a state of social distancer, with the country ranked 141 out of 180 countries on the 2017 Index of Economic Freedom.
The country is also ranked 162nd on the 2016 Human Development Index.